Tuesday 3 May 2011

Corridors



I am worn out by this incessant corridor,
narrow and dark, with no hope of escape.
With each step I take I encounter an obstacle
that I must pass to carry on,
and with each impediment I pass
I feel a bone break,
so that I’m rapidly shattering away
until I cannot walk any longer.
With each snap I take a look back
and wish I never embarked upon this journey,
but now I am too far gone to consider going back,
and I am resigned to the fact
that I cannot resign.
I am scared of the prospect
of being trapped in this tube,
unable to carry on or return to the beginning.
I know that I must face this test,
and I know I am able.
I know that I must face the next,
and I will still be able.
But how long can I carry on taking these steps
with no sign of reward?
When I do reach the finish line,
will I want to celebrate my freedom
and use the life which I have earned
or will I just want to sleep in my spacious earthy bed
and stop walking, stop worrying, stop breathing?

No comments:

Post a Comment