Monday 27 January 2014

A Cat In Hell's Chance

A girl I know, or at least wish I did,
she had a certain way.
She always seemed to look through my skin
when I was out of things to say.
I'd make bland comments about the weather
and ask about her day.
She'd reply with an indifferent sniff
knowing my acting meek.
Her social skills had gained her fans;
my own made me feel weak.
Yet, despite myself, I unsheathed my tongue
and dared myself to speak.
She used well known aphorisms
to ward off romance.
But who condemned the cat to hell
and who gave that cat no chance?
I posed to her these ponderings
and asked her for a dance.
And so it was that philosophy
out-jostled social wit,
and even with the blandest badinage
you can be well read and writ.
There may have been no sunset fandango
but I'm happy with my lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment