Tuesday 22 August 2017

Under the Mill

That hour elapsed with urgency,
my hands trembled but my will did not
as I watched you, watching me,
wonder in those great vessels within their emerald oceans
and I averted my gaze down to my plate,
long purged of its contents.

My eyes found the waitress's, an unspoken request,
as a folded receipt was brought over with packaged mints,
and I promptly overlapped it with plastic
and held open the door, buttoning my jacket
as we made our exit, into the sky's embrace,
fingertips glancing at first, then strengthening in grip.

We circumnavigated that reedy body of water,
reflecting your soft countenance, and mine paled with plans
 - we paused - 
lips glancing at first, then strengthening in grip
before we carried on upward to the rusting sky,
my thoughts anxious with times ans suppositional circumstances.

As our mirthful minds crossed that inclined threshold
we could both discern a city's silhouette in salmon skies
and found a place to rest aching legs and full stomachs.
I opened my mouth - unable to speak; and instead looked out
to the sea where white waves wandered, and my eyes wandered
to those deep emerald oceans once more.

My hands trembled but my will did not,
as I watched you, watching me,
and you replied,
"Yes!".

No comments:

Post a Comment