Saturday 13 August 2011

Fresh Air


I’m sprawled out across my bedroom floor
because my bed is just too consoling
and I want to feel the cold hardened boards,
to feel my self-pity controlling.

How did I become so lost somewhere so
familiar and full of fond feelings?
I’m buried under junk I need to let go
but the thought of their absence leaves me reeling.

If I just had a clearout of my chest
I think that I would lose eleven stone
and then; no, I still wouldn’t want to rest
and that ounce left of me would still feel alone.

I decide to stand and head to the window,
open it as wide as my damp, tired eyes
and I behold the world breathing below
to see that I’ve become that which I despise.

Should I join that life in the windy streets
my cheeks would return to a rosy verve,
rather than wrapping up in my bed sheets;
youth is not to be bubble-wrapped and conserved.

So to hell with boredom, to hell with sorrow
I want to breathe in all life’s oxygen.
No longer living for a tomorrow,
I will feel alive, day by day, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment