Tuesday 2 August 2011

Witching Hour

I see her arm outstretched in the trees,
fingers reaching as far as possible
like rays of light glittering on the river
but my world and her land is out of sync,
as she moves behind the leaves
on a reversing travelator never to be seen.

I know that I should not follow her in to the woods
for once I tread inside I am sure
that I would not be able to find my way back out,
but the way those rays of light
still dance on the ripples nearby
invites me to make an impulsive decision.

And so in I step, clambering over a wooden fence
that has seen the worst of its days, in mossy decay
and as I trudge on the soggy grass
toward the boundary I notice
the sudden shade made by the approaching trees;
it is witching hour and I have lost my light.

But now I have already committed myself to follow,
so onwards I must go into the shade,
and should I find myself alone and lost
I will know that it has been the cost
of the hasty decisions that your witchcraft has made;
I have lost my head in your sleepy hollow.

No comments:

Post a Comment