Tuesday 4 October 2011

Autumnal Sounds

So it’s about time I turned off those summer songs
now the weather gives no reason to sing along,
but I just can’t bring myself to let go
and accept the prospects of frost and snow.

The clouds have a stranglehold on the struggling sky
and I wonder how long the ground will stay dry,
meanwhile the wind blows leaves to the floor
making their sweeping a useless chore.

I’ve noticed that the nights are engulfing the day,
as much as I try, I can’t sleep the dark away…
we’re stuck in a cesspit of dead time
anxious for Christmas and missing sunshine.

Most of my break-ups have occurred with the fall,
I doubt there is any correlation at all
but that doesn’t stop the reminders
and I can’t see past these transparent  blinders.

Despite all the bleak that the end of summer brings
the jubilant voice inside of my head still sings
because there’s so much beauty in the death
and I feel alive tasting your iced breath.

I’ll hold on to these new songs ‘til they’ve past their date
hoping that their meanings do not dawn seasons too late
and as life turns partakers into subjects
I wonder where the wind will drag me next…

No comments:

Post a Comment