Wednesday 12 October 2011

Nightdrive

Condensation crawls
from the windscreen
and creeps
onto the bonnet,
whilst the lamppost lit drizzle
hazes the damp, dull street.
The dashboard glows royally
as the headlights break the black
to bleak.
The stereo reverberates
the rattling sounds
of the night
and drowns out
the engine's meditating hum.
The wipers work overtime
on the petite but persistent perspiration
The raindrops seep through the open window
but the cold slap of air makes me feel alive.
As I set off, into the line moving nowhere,
disgruntled faces obscured by hoods pass by.
Red.
Amber.
Green.
We're off to escape this scene
so that we may look on at it through different windows,
but whilst most are in a rush
I don't want this journey to end.
As elements blend into one,
I'm caught in the pace of life
and I can't decide if it's my control
or lack of it
which eases me so much.
For now I'll take a detour
and keep on driving until the track ends
or the needle points towards empty.
Is speed, time, or distance the limit?
I guess I'll find out when I grind to a stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment