Thursday 24 March 2011

Haunt

A smoky whisper in the deceptive air,
was it your shadow that danced with my reflection?
A slight of sight that filled me with such fright
that I was sure that I would not sleep that night.
I turned on the radio to calm my nerve
but I could hear your voice in the static.
I opened the window to cool my frantic mind
only to feel your breath in the cool night's wind.
I rinsed my face to awaken my eyes
but I could taste your chilled tongue in the flowing water.
And so I resigned myself to sleep,
but as I blew out the candles,
the smoke floated past my eyes
and in the complete darkness, all I could see
was your taunting, haunting face.
I longed to reread your gravestone
to discover if you are real,
and yet I was terrified of reading the words
that hurt me most.
I'll cling to these ghosts to keep me company
until I find sleep to wake me from this dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment