Thursday 24 February 2011

Cycle of Destruction

This street has lost meaning to me.
It is the place we used to go.
Here used to lie a great oak tree:
we danced around it in the snow
singing festive songs merrily.
In this basket we used to stow
many conkers upon my knee.
All forsaken now for housing rows.

Like all beauty, destined to fray.
Trees were crushed and memories shattered.
Now all the fair birds have flown away,
remember how they once chattered?
Remember how in our home made den we’d play?
If I was once again flattered
with such beauty, I’d surely say
with gratitude, how much those trees mattered.

This street has lost meaning to me.
It’s no longer the place I know.
I walk down the street in dismay,
oh how things change day by day!
Little love lost for this new low
for we’ve lost both the first and the latter
now even the earth and rubble lie shattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment